August 09, 2009

Round 2. Ding

Bout time for an update? I think so. The new school year starts tomorrow, and I'm quite excited. After an incredibly taxing year, I'm encouraged by the sense of optimism and enthusiasm I have. I'm teaching 2nd grade now, a change that occurred at the end of the year last year, and I really think it will be a good fit for me.

One big difference between 5th grade and 2nd grade is that I will be able to get away with the gimmicky stuff that I couldn't last year. For example, I'm reading "The Little Engine that Could" tomorrow, and then using that as a springboard into my academic "Big Goals" (TFA jargon) , emphasizing that hard work sustained over a long period of time brings results. Slow and steady wins the race. I'm thinking I might have them whisper-chant "I think I can, I think I can..." I'm gonna be a real cheeseball. Did I mention I'm doing a train theme in the classroom? All I need is a conductor's hat.

Also noteworthy is the fact that the administration decided to give me all the hispanic students in 2nd grade, because I can speak spanish. As of Friday, 8 of the 12 students on my roster were hispanic. Generally speaking, our hispanic students seem to be more driven and less rebellious than other students. I think that a lot of this is due to the fact that their parents, many of whom are 1st generation immigrants, simply recognize the importance that education plays in our society, and impart that mindset upon their children.

I heard an interesting interview on NPR with Joseph O'Neill, the author of "Netherland," (popularized in part by its presence on Obama's nightstand) in which the topic of immigration came up. O'Neill shared a refreshing perspective on immigration that I'd never heard before. The point he made was that immigrants are a highly self-selective population. That is to say, the decision to leave one's homeland for another, as well as the success of that migration, creates a natural filter. So immigrants, by their very nature, are some of the most ambitious, industrious, and driven individuals out there. Paraphrasing O'Neill, every new immigrant brings a fresh verve to our country--something we should welcome.

The anxiety and intimidation that characterized my night-before-the-first-day has been replaced by an excitement and a confidence. I am prepared for tomorrow (something very rare for any day of the year last year). I have an aesthetically pleasing classroom in which I actually enjoy spending time (I went in to work on Saturday). We'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

Indy Z said...

That perspective you mentioned on immigrants being self-selecting is a very apt one, I think. Joseph O'Neill is definitely not the first one to say it, however. Robert A. Heinlein had a great section in Time Enough For Love that said the same thing.

Anyway, really enjoyed my 3 hours in Memphis. I'll talk to Luke about a road trip from Austin. Hope this year really treats you well.