March 03, 2009

Moving down the hall

Last Thursday I was informed by my principal that I will be moving to 3rd grade next year. I was actually hoping for a move to a younger grade, and was pleased to hear that her rationale for the move closely aligned with the reasons why I feel I would be a stronger 3rd grade teacher. I think I connect better with younger students. It's the blatant disrespect and willful disobedience that gets me. I can deal with misguided antics and easily hurt feelings that I associate with 3rd grade. Just DO what I tell you to do!!

There are actually a number of teachers that are being moved. Apparently this is a tactic sometimes used by principals to establish their dominance and to fully disseminate their philosophy. It makes sense: break up routines and alliances in order to best push your desired practices and mindsets. However, a few teachers, including one on my team (who interpreted his move to 2nd grade as a "squeeze out" strategy) are leaving because they don't want to move. I have to admit that knowing I will be in a different grade has somewhat lowered my investment in my current situation.

After Thursday I will have no more night classes! Boom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

March 6, 2009
9:55 pm

I love the "misguided antics"!
I think it is dead on about misbehaving younger kids. Not that you won't have some disrespectful and disobedient whipper-snappers in 3rd grade, but hopefully fewer and less seasoned!

I would imagine that there are some current 2nd graders who are feeling lucky to get to have you next year (if the news is known) and some current 4th graders who are sad that they won't.

You have already made it to March!

Love,
Mom